Saturday, May 31, 2008

Benefits of Attending the TESOL Convention-Florida

Being the principal and the English coordinator of two elementary schools which belong to the Makassed Philanthropic Association, my main goal is to utilize second language instruction to develop the Lebanese student intellectually, technologically, emotionally, socially, and culturally, as well as to develop intercultural understanding. My participation in the TESOL conference in Tampa Florida during the winter of 2006was an expetional experience for me to to pursuit my goal.It provided me with an excellent opportunity to acquire first-hand knowledge and skills related to the teaching of English as a second language, as well as meeting prominent leaders, teachers, researchers, authors, editors, and publishers in the field of English as a foreign language. Meeting these leaders gave me the chance to engage and seek advice on issues related to teaching foreign language such as special methods of TESOL, reading strategies for ESL students, literature-based instruction, communicative approach to teaching grammar, computer assisted language learning, cooperative learning, and multiple intelligences…. It also gave me the chance to gain insights on how language teaching and learning can cultivate essential intercultural skills and how a language teacher can promote a culture of global understanding in a climate of conflict and insecurity worldwide. Moreover, it gave me ideas for planning and implementing a professional development program as a part of teacher training at Makassed, in addition to instructional programs, especially that I am interested in an effective instructional program for low performing students. It gave me insight on how to choose or design and implement an up-to-date curriculum that integrates teaching reading, writing, speaking, and listening, in addition to designing supplementary materials including video, cultural agenda, grammar games ,projects and songs. I was also interested in getting future visions of computer assisted language learning CALL, and how to adapt CALL to support teachers and learners in the EFL classroom , especially that we had started in our school a program that integrates language instruction and technology. The TESOL convention also gave me the chance of networking, exchanging messages with other TESOLers, and building relationships with them. This was beneficial especially that we have started designing a website for our school, which includes a forum for discussing educational issues. This forum would provide teachers with a great tool to collaborate with other teachers as well as experts and parents. The convention gave me the chance of meeting English teachers who were looking for international opportunities, and that benefitted the association I belong to as well as my country. Furthermore, this convention let me gain insight in research on language teaching and learning and gave me ideas of studies that could be conducted in Lebanon. I had the chance of sharing the result of my experimental study on cooperative learning and reading motivation and achievement, which was accepted for publication in a refereed journal. I was interested in participating in post-presentation discussions and panels that discuss issues related to language teaching and learning, as well as meeting publishers and attending book exhibitions.
Thus, I can say that my special points of interest were to:

  • Explore different methodologies, materials, and technologies
  • Engage in meaningful interactions with American and international colleagues.
  • Develop intercultural understanding and international exchanges



On the other hand, this conference enabled me to develop my skills as a principal and a leader. I got the chance to attend sessions that discuss educational management issues, in addition to participating in programs such as the Leadership Development Certificate Program which is offered in the TESOL convention. I was also introduced to an expert in elementary school management and child-centered school management with whom I discussed innovative approaches to school management and other issues such as strategies to improve communication in the workplace, home-school connection, extra-curricular activities, resource management, school restructuring…

It’s definite that participating in this convention was an exceptional experience for me. Attending this conference also benefitted my school, the association I belong to, as well as my country, since I brought this intercultural experience back home and shared it with fellow teachers, coordinators and principals. I greatly appreciate your support I got from President Amine Daouk , Ryan Gliha, and Edith Bitar . Without it I would definitely miss the opportunity of participating in this international convention.

3 comments:

Dissertation Writing said...

This blog is very nice and informative. it is pretty hard task but your post and experience serve and teach me how to handle and make it more simple and manageable.
--------------------------------------------------
Dissertation Writing | Dissertation Advice

Columbus convention center hotels said...

Nice, i very like it. This blog is going to be great resource. Continue in the same spirit.

sara said...

I agree with the tip of not trying too hard to imitate the way of speaking. Aside from it's annoying, I think it will just blow their chances. Thanks for sharing.

Career in IELTS