Monday, June 2, 2008

Visit to Scotland


First, I would like to thank everyone who made my participation in the program possible: the British Council for funding the visit, Ms Fatima Al Masri, the British Council project coordinator who invited me to join the program, Mr. Baldev Singh and Mr. Fadi Abilmona who facilitated the link, and President Amine al Daouk who gave me a leave from work. Thanks a million. You are really great people who made a difference in my life.

My visit could be summed up with three main things:
1. Visit to Cauldeen Primary School
2. Visit to Inshes Primary School
3. Meeting Quality Assurance Officers

The visit to Scotland benefited me a lot in my work and strengthened the link between our school and Cauldeen Primary School. I spent one whole day with the students with whom we have a direct link (Primary 5-6).I gave them the souvenirs and the letters that our students wrote. We watched together a video about Lebanon and answered their questions. They wrote letters to our students, and we worked on an ICT project related to the water project on a program called Photostory. I also spent two days at the school attending classes and especially at the nursery level to see how curricula are delivered there. In addition to that attended a French classroom and saw how second languages are taught in the Highlands. In fact this visit provided me with an excellent opportunity to share expertise especially that the head teacher, George Glass, organized a program to meet prominent leaders in the field of education. I had the chance to meet two Quality Assurance Officers (QCAs)-John Murr & ---------.With the two QCAs, I discussed the French curricula since French is newly introduced to my school and through a club. We also discussed the audit system on schools, school development plans, and they gave me a handbook on the criteria that are used to assess how good a school is. We also discussed extra curricular activities and our activities for the International School Award (ISA); especially that John Murr was an international coordinator and that Cauldeen Primary School is also running for ISA. I also had the chance to visit Inshes Primary School, which is a new high tech. school. I spent half a day there also attending classes and discussing with the headteacher issues related to integrating technology and teaching. My visit to this school gave me first hand knowledge on how to adopt ICT to support teachers and learners in the classroom. Finally, I was interviewed by the local newspaper, Inverness Courier, regarding my visit and they were interested to know more about the water project and the international link.

It’s definite that participating in this program was an exceptional experience for me. I hope this international link would help improve my school. I would also like say that I greatly appreciate the support I got. I hope I was up to your expectation and reflected a good image of the Makassed Association and Lebanon.

1 comment:

George Glass said...

We really enjoyed your visit and our pupils are looking forward to continuing our friendship and sharing project work with you and your pupils.Good luck with your International School Award.

George Glass
Cauldeen Primary School